Soccer News NetBig Apple SoccerLA Soccer NewsChicagoland Soccer NewsDallas Soccer NewsPhilly Soccer NewsNew England Soccer NewsBig Apple Soccer HomeD.C. Soccer NewsSunshine Soccer News
Fairleigh Dickinson Knights


November 9, 2012
FDU men overcome Monmouth in penalties, 4-3

WEST HAVEN, Conn. – The second-seed Fairleigh Dickinson men won a penalty kick shootout against Monmouth University in the Northeast Conference semifinal match on Friday.

The Knights played Monmouth to a 1-1 tie before prevailing in the shootout, 4-3.

FDU (8-5-5) advanced them to Sunday’s championship match against fourth-seeded Saint Francis (Pa.), which defeated top-seed Quinnipiac in penalties, 4-3. Monmouth finished at 11-4-4. They will meet at 1 p.m. on Sunday.

Freshman Jan Aubert converted the Knights’ fifth penalty kick to advance FDU to the championship match for the second consecutive year and the 12th time in history.

Monmouth shot first in the penalty kick shootout and Joseph Schmid beat goalkeeper Jacob Lissek to give the Hawks a 1-0 lead. FDU tied it right up as senior Jack McVey found the back of the net.

Lissek turned the advantage in the Knights’ favor as he made a save diving to his left to keep the shootout tied at one. Nicholas Walker stepped up for FDU and put the Knights up, 2-1.

After the Hawks’ third shot hit the right post, Anders Vest-Hansen gave the Knights a 3-1 lead, which was then cut to 3-2.

With a chance to win the shootout, senior Antony Moore’s shot was saved by Blackburn, giving Monmouth a chance to tie match, which it did.

With the shootout tied at 3-3, Aubert nailed the shot to advance the Knights to the final.

In the first half, the Knights were the more aggressive team and had opportunities early on but could score. In the 39th minute, freshman Simon Doherty was in the right place at the right time to give FDU a 1-0 lead. A Monmouth defender passed back to goalkeeper Alex Blackburn, who missed the ball as he was going to kick it, rolling to an open Doherty for the put back and his third goal of the season.

Monmouth came out on fire in the second half and equalized in the 51st minute off a free kick. Emmanuel Agyemang got the ball in the penalty kick and blasted a shot at junior goalkeeper Jacob Lissek, who made a save. The rebound bounced back to Agyemange, who scored on a tap-in.

FDU had its best opportunity of the second half in the 71st minute. After a corner kick, Walker headed the ball towards the goal, which was deflected away by Blackburn. A Monmouth defender kept the ball from going in.

After the save, the ball went to Vest-Hansen, whose shot was saved by Blackburn.

Heading into the first overtime period with an 11-10 shot advantage, FDU got off two quick ones in the box, which were blocked by the Monmouth defense. Early in the 97th minute, Aubert had a shot saved by Blackburn, and junior David Cornwell just missed ending the match with seven seconds left in overtime, but his shot went just wide to the right.

Contact Us | Help | Advertising Information | Terms of Use |Privacy Policy | Site Map
Sports Vue Interactive
© 2017 Sports Vue Interactive, LLC All Rights Reserved