August 22, 2013
ROAD WORRIERS MORE THAN WARRIORS
Red Bulls struggle to find the back of the net away from home
It started so optimistically as the Red Bulls bolted out of the starting gates for three goals in what turned a 3-3 season-opening road draw at the Portland Timbers on March 3.
|Jamison Olave is tied with Tim Cahill and Fabian Espindola for a team-high three road goals each.
Linda Cuttone/Sports Vue Images
Since then, it has been an uphill battle for the Major League Soccer club to find the back of the net away from Red Bull Arena.
Entering Sunday's road match against Chivas USA at the StubHub Center in Carson, Calif., New York has tallied only 14 road goals in 13 matches en route to 4-6-3 mark and 15 points. The Red Bulls have surrendered 20 away goals.
Recent games have spawned even more discouraging results as the Red Bulls have tallied but thrice in five games -- all in a stirring 3-2 victory at Sporting Kansas City on Aug. 3. The other four results were shutouts for the opposition.
An interesting note of interest: central defender Jamison Olave, who is tied with Tim Cahill and Fabian Espindola for a team-high three road goals apiece, won't be available for the Chivas encounter as he recovers from a quadriceps injury.
Another interesting note of interest: captain Thierry Henry has scored but once on the road, in a 2-0 victory at D.C. United on April 13.
Here is how the Red Bulls have fared on the road this season (goal-scorers in parantheses):
* March 3 -- 3-3 draw at Portland Timbers (Fabian Espindola 2, Jamison Olave)
* March 10 -- 2-1 loss at San Jose Earthquakes (Eric Alexander)
* March 23 -- 1-0 defeat at Montreal Impact
* April 7 -- 3-1 setback at Chicago Fire (Olave)
* April 13 -- 2-0 win at D.C. United (Thierry Henry, Olave)
* April 27 -- 2-1 victory at Toronto FC (Tim Cahill 2)
* May 4 -- 1-0 triumph at Columbus Crew (Cahill)
* May 11 -- 1-1 tie at New England Revolution (Lloyd Sam)
* June 23 -- 3-0 loss at Philadelphia Union
* July 4 -- 2-0 defeat at Colorado Rapids
* July 20 -- 0-0 draw at Toronto FC
* Aug. 3 -- 3-2 victory at Sporting Kansas City (Jonny Steele, Espindola, Sam)
* Aug. 10 -- 2-0 loss at Columbus Crew