January 30, 2014
THE RED BULLS APPROACHED HIM
Minnesota's Ibarra wants to play in MLS
By Kristian R. Dyer
BigAppleSoccer.com Contributing Editor
The Red Bulls were interested in North American Soccer League star Miguel Ibarra, so says the player.
Selected to the NASL Best XI last year, the speedster of a winger was approached by the Red Bulls to possibly trial with the club during pre-season training in Orlando, Fla. The Red Bulls also have another Miguel Ibarra in training, a once-capped Ecuadorean right back currently on the books of Deportivo Quito.
But the NASL and Minnesota United standout said that he too and not just his South American counterpart was a target of New York.
“As much as I know New York holds my discovery rights, I was told that New York wanted me in for preseason. I was excited to here that,” Ibarra told BigAppleSoccer.com. “When the date came closer to pre-season I was told I wasn't attending pre-season anymore because Minnesota wanted medical security and a transfer fee and I was also told New York thought I was a free transfer.”
He has been receiving updates on the situation through his agent and not the NASL club that currently owns his rights or the Red Bulls side interested in seeing him for a trial. Ibarra was notified last week through his agent that the Red Bulls wouldn't be able to pursue him at this time.
As of now, he doesn't know his status with the Red Bulls although a league source said that the Chicago Fire have been in contact with the player recently.
“I am not sure but other teams have contacted me and are interested for me to attend their preseason,” Ibarra said. “But I think the reason why [the Red Bulls] don't bring me in is because I have one more year in my contract and it would require them to pay a transfer fee; I think that is the main reason New York didn't bring me in.”
As for playing in the league, it is definitely a goal of the 23-year-old midfielder.
“Been wanting to play [in] MLS,” Ibarra said. “That's my dream to play for an MLS franchise.”